Saturday, March 8, 2014

Italy 2014

I have never been good at keeping a travel journal. I kind of thought it was a waste of time for the first ten trips I took. However, the blog I did for the Holy Land trip last year truly helped me enjoy the experience even more. Therefore, I'm going to keep this blog going for Italy this year.

Read it or don't...it's really not about you, it's about me :-)

I have to start with a little background on the "lens" I'll be looking at Italy through. Lent started Wednesday. I struggled with things to "give up". Two years ago I gave up desserts and lost 10 pounds. Italy has gelato though so that wasn't going to work. I had planned on all alcohol but Italy's wine is cheaper than water so that wasn't going to work either. My Catholic friend Margie always reminds me it isn't about "giving something up" but rather making a change that will bring you closer to God. The Lenten theme at Crossgates UMC this year is "Know My Heart". It is based on Psalm 139 and one of my favorite choir anthems (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFS54Obv0o). I ran across a blog post on Facebook on 20 things to give up for Lent. It apparently went viral so much that the pastor created a 40 days of Lent blog that you can receive daily devotional emails from. So of course I signed up. This guy is talking to ME. I don't know about anyone else but everyday it has been the EXACT message I need to hear. You can sign up for the emails here... http://gs4nj.org/news/enews-devotion/40-things-for-lent/. Be warned though, you aren't going to be giving up sweets, wine, soft drinks, etc. You will be giving up emotions that distract you from being the best you can be.

I somewhat jokingly say that I have to get my Italy "fix" every few years. Italy was the first foreign country I visited. This will be my 5th trip back to this beautiful land with its beautiful people. This year, more than ever, it will be a trip about retreating and "Knowing My Heart".

Now off to set several alarm clocks since I have to be at the airport at 4:45 a.m. tomorrow AND the time changes tonight :-/




No comments:

Post a Comment